Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Preparing the Garden


I cleared my spot for my tomato and jalapeno plants in the yard.  The plants had spikes and I don't have gardening gloves, so I used winter mittens.  It went from this:


To this:

There's still more to do, but it looks better.  I upset about 10,000 ants.  They freaked out and were going everywhere.  Do ants bite?  I think one bit me.

Part of me is thinking maybe I won't plant them there.  The soil looks pretty shitty and there's some kind of electrical thing in there.  I was planning on getting mulch and new soil, but I kind of don't want to.  We don't even know if we'll be staying here when the lease is up.  I kind of hope we do, since I don't want to move again and we don't have money to pay a security deposit on anything if we do.  Yes, I hate not being able to open windows or the fact that we don't get to control the heat/AC during the day, but I can deal with that for another year.

So, maybe I'll do pots.  They look so small and shitty; it kind of depresses me to look at them.  I may have killed last years tomatoes, but they at least grew up to a foot or so tall.  These have been planted for 2 months and are barely 2 inches.  I think getting them outside will help because they'll get better sunlight and warmth, but I'm afraid they are too small.  Maybe I'll just start bringing the whole tray outside.  You can see from the photos, though, that they'll get plenty of light.  Those photos were taking at 4pm.

I talked to Murl and he said we should get hanging things for them.  He thinks if I put them on the ground the ants will destroy them.  I can't keep them inside, though, because of the lack of sun and heat.  The AC is on all the time!

So, we'll see what we can do.  I'll be sad if I don't get any fruit again, but I guess that's how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment